CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 26, 2010

Our Homeschool Year

The Firecracker Princess is starting kindergarten next week. Next week! I can't believe that my oldest child is going to be in school! As I mentioned last time, we're homeschooling using the Charlotte Mason method.

For my part, I've been reading her Original Homeschooling Series, and have found it to be absolutely rich with wisdom. I'm only on book one, but I've already learned so much.

Since we're starting our homeschool adventure, I thought I'd document what we're using (you know, for posterity). Plus, I'll probably forget what worked and what didn't by the time the CCM is old enough for school if I don't write it down. Something about having four kids under six will do that to you. :)

Copywork:
alphabet semester 1, simple sentences semester 2

Math:
Horizons K workbooks 1 and 2, Grade 1 if we finish early

Phonics:
Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons

Christian Development:
Bible
Parables from Nature
Trial and Triumph

History:
An Island Story
Fifty Famous Stories Retold
Viking Tales

Geography:
Paddle to the Sea

Science:
Burgess Bird Book for Children
Handbook of Nature Study

Poetry:
A Child's Garden of Verses
Now We Are Six
When We Were Very Young

Literature:
Aesop's Fables
Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare
The Blue Fairy Book
Just So Stories

Fine Arts:
Folk songs first semester, hymns second semester
Three artists per term: Raphael, Sargent, and Monet, then Durer, Caravaggio, and ???

Enrichment:
King of the Golden River
Peter Pan
Pinocchio
The Velveteen Rabbit
The Red Fairy Book
Little House in the Big Woods.

T minus nine days and we start. Can't wait!

No comments: